University of Kansas Professional & Continuing Education supports the teaching, research, and public service missions of the University, contributing to postgraduate professional education, workforce development, distance learning, and quality of life for Kansans and worldwide communities.
The KU "School of University Extension" was established in 1891 to address the educational needs of working professionals without direct access to a college or university. It was a bold idea then—only two other major universities had similar programs at the time. More than 125 years and a few operating names later, KU Professional & Continuing Education has evolved from a bold educational pioneer into a leading provider of professional education programming, workforce training and lifelong enrichment.
Our multi-faceted role at KU today honors our University Extension heritage while blazing exciting new pathways within the 21st century’s rapidly changing educational landscape. A few of our services include:
- Partnering with KU faculty and departments to offer academic conferences and research dissemination support.
- Developing new employee training programs with businesses and industries in the Kansas City metropolitan area, across the country and around the world.
- Providing non-credit courses in professional development and certificate opportunities through public and online programs for working professionals.
- Serving a central role in Kansas’s public safety by managing the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center and the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute.
- Providing lifelong learning opportunities for adults 50 and over through the popular KU Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
- Collaborating with all 19 Kansas community colleges to make programming easily accessible for all Kansans.
- Partnering with the Greater Kansas City Federal Executive Board to offer discounts to federal employees for selected programs.
Our Mission & Values
From our main office at the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, we continue our founding mission by extending the University’s resources to working professionals while upholding the educational values that make KU a world-class center of learning. We perform these services with the guiding principle that the best form of learning is to undertake it continually, whether through academic research, professional development, personal enrichment or the pursuit of general knowledge.
Nestled in the heart of Overland Park, Kansas, Edwards Campus has been providing KU-quality education to working professionals since 1993.