Become an Osher Instructor
Dear Prospective Osher Instructors,
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Kansas is always looking for dynamic instructors who have a passion for teaching and believe that learning is lifelong. The Osher Institute partners with retirement communities, museums, art organizations, historical societies, libraries and private foundations to provide engaging venues for Osher members. Their joy of learning makes your love of teaching a mutually fulfilling experience. No grades, no credit—just the pleasure of sharing your knowledge and experience with those who greatly appreciate that gift. Any topic is fair game; and you don’t need a degree in the subject you want to teach, just an enthusiastic commitment to lifelong learning.
If you’re interested in teaching with us, here’s what you should know:
- Our usual course format is three weekly two-hour classes.
- We offer courses in summer (June–July), fall (Sept.–Dec.), and spring (Feb.–April).
- There’s usually no homework, no tests, no pressure.
- We offer courses at nearly 20 sites in Lawrence, Topeka, Ottawa, and the Greater Kansas City area as well as Manhattan, Hutchinson, Hesston, North Newton, McPherson, and Ulysses.
- While many of our instructors donate their services, we will compensate our instructors up to $450 per six-hour course. Many, however, generously contribute their honorarium towards scholarships for senior citizens who might otherwise not be able to afford to be Osher members.
I invite you to join the Osher family and experience the joy of giving to a community of lifelong learners who will appreciate you as a teacher and value you as a new member of their community. If you are interested in teaching an Osher class, please e-mail me. I look forward to hearing from you. Visit our Current Instructors page to meet our instructors.
Thank you and best wishes,
Director, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at KU