KU Big Data Workshop
Febuary 2, 9 & 16, 2018
KU Edwards Campus, 12600 Quivira Rd., Overland Park, Kan.
In response to the Kansas City workforce’s development needs, more Big Data programming from KU is coming to the metro area. KUPCE will continue to offer this three-part workshop several times a year, updating the content as needed. The Big Data for Managers and Decision Makers workshop is designed for mid-level managers with little-to-no data science expertise.
You'll learn the basics of Big Data in order to make key organizational decisions, assess whether you need a data management team—and, if you do, how to get the most out of it—and much more.
The Big Data for Managers and Decision Makers workshop will consist of three half-day sessions held at the KU Edwards Campus in Kansas City. Topics covered will include:
Day One—Friday, February 2
Presenter: Raj Nair
- Internal Value Chain: understanding the data you might already have.
- Data Primer + Vision: opportunities of a more complete cross-organizational data set.
- More "Open" Data: a tool to drive internal innovation.
- Breaking down silos and bringing together entities.
Big Data Technological Landscape
- Understanding key technical concepts of Big Data and what makes it different.
- Big Data jargon and terminology.
- Current trends in commercialization of Big Data.
- Ecosystem Essentials: deciphering technologies and vendors, value of distributed computing paradigms, technology stacks, and selecting the right technology.
- Transactional versus analytical systems and their trade-offs.
Day Two—Friday, February 9
Presenter: Piero Ferrante
The Intersection of Data Science and Big Data
- The data science lifecycle.
- Vertical case studies in business outcomes.
- Hypothesis testing and iterative exploration with Big Data.
- Signal detection with unstructured data sets.
- Monetizing data: zero to insights.
Constraints and Limitations of Big Data
- Pitfalls of analytics and Big Data.
- Challenges and Barriers: technical and adaptive.
Day Three—Friday, February 16
Big Data Resources and HR
- Building an internal team for data needs.
- How to Hire: skill sets based on level and needs.
- Who are regional leaders in Big Data and what's missing?
- How to make data science teams successful.
New Directions and Opportunities for Innovation
- New business opportunities.
- Leveraging Big Data.
- Leadership development.
- Innovation Lab: how to take a problem, solve it, and push that solution up within the organization.
Please join us!
Are you interested in learning more about our future Big Data programs, workshops and offerings? Are you an industry expert with an interest in sharing your expertise or serving on our advisory board? Click here and let us know!
Have questions about the workshop? Are you interested in having all or portions of the training presented at your office? Please contact Justine Hamilton at email@example.com, or call 913-897-8718.
Sponsorships for this event are available. Please contact Justine Hamilton for more information.
Group Discounts Available
If your company would like to send several employees to this workshop, please contact Justine Hamilton to discuss a group discount option.